Sunday, December 27, 2009

The Wedding

Well, I have not been riding in the last week for several reasons - primarily due to Christmas, having my bike parts changed over to the CA2 frame and The Wedding. My son Ken is marrying Brooke Grantham tonight. They make a really good couple and I believe they have a great foundation for a long and healthy marriage.

Ken asked Brooke to marry him after Thanksgiving last year. So they have had over a year to plan the wedding during the engagement. I must admit that I am very impressed with their dedication and planning. Everything seems to be in place just as the couple have wanted. No one is running around like a chicken with their head cut off trying to tie up loose ends. The couple has planned this wedding so well, that I think this has been my most relaxing Christmas in a long time.

If these kids put as much time and dedication into their marriage that they have put into their wedding I have not doubt that they will be married until death do they part. It is so important to realize that time is what a relationship needs. Time together and time apart. Time for yourself and time for each other. Balancing time is the tricky part as taking too much time for yourself can put distance in the relationship yet too much time together or requiring time together can be too stifling.

It leaves no doubt in my mind that Ken and Brooke love each other. I am also impressed that they have made a point to keep Christ in their marriage. They have a church in Birmingham and they have a theme passage that they try to stay centered on - Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 - the last part of 12 says "A cord of three strands is not easily broken". Truly a marriage that allows Christ to be the center of will not fail. It is hard, though, to keep Christ in the center. Most often, Christ is replaced with a very unhealthy dose of self or He is replaced with kids. Many marriages begin to suffer with the birth of children for this problem. Kids are great, but they should never be put so high in a marriage that it squeezes out the spouse or Christ. It is my prayer that this couple continue to remember their verse and that the "3 cords" strengthen to a steel cable.

Congratulations Ken and Brooke! May your marriage be strong and healthy. May you experience true joy and happiness in your lives together!

No comments: