Thursday, July 15, 2010

Day 4 - Lavender, Cedar and Osprey

First, I want to thank everyone who is posting comments and/or texting me throughout the day.  I look forward to reading the comments when I log on each night.  I will try to answer questions that are texted when I can, but most of yall are 2 hours ahead of me so if I answer the text at 8 you would get the response at 10 and I know most of you are in bed by then!

Today would be considered an easy day on PACtour standards.  Light winds and rolling terrain made for a very enjoyable ride and everyone is still in good spirits.  The day started with us meandering through Spokane.  Thanks to Veronica and a guy that I still don't know his name, I made it though downtown alive!  I had no idea how to cycle through one way downtown streets.  Once through the city, we hit more of a tree lined range.  No wheat at all today!  The new color and plant that grows wild in this part of the country is Lavender.  Very pretty light purple fields dotted the country side.  My pictures will not do them justice. We were also passed by the first log trucks today.  I had heard they are awful - all of the ones that passed me today were well behaved.  The thing I like about them is the strong scent of cedar coming off of the trees they were carrying.

One of the highlights of the day was passing our first state sign.  Several of us showed up right at the same time for a small group picture under "Idaho".  It was neat to see the excitement that we all shared over border sign. 

The next highlight of the day was actually a missed turn!  I missed a turn off of highway 2 and realized something was wrong and stopped to see if anyone else was coming my way.  Shortly, Susan from Chicago and Paul from Austrialia showed up.  After deliberating and going one way and coming back again, we found the correct turn and were on our way.  Along the way we came across these very large bird nests.  The bird had a white head, but it was not a bald  eagle.  It would squawk at us calling attention to the nest. The birds were later identified as ospreys. I just had so much fun riding and eating  lunch with these Paul and Susan.  Although we were the last 3 on the road, we were able to take it easy.  The lunch crew had not started cleaning up yet, so there was still plenty hamburgers and pasta salad for us.  We were also treated to an ice cream bar!  We only had 10 miles to go and it was only 1:30, so a nice leisurely lunch was enjoyed.  We then slowly meandered the remaining distance to the motel, stopping to take pictures when we felt like it.

Once again a great day!  Tomorrow will be another new state and I think even a new time zone!

Lavendar - the picture does not do it justice



Tree lined roads replace the wheat fields


A small group of us crossing into Idaho


Lake Pend Oreille  - we cylced along the lake for several miles.


Paul and Susan on the bike bridge coming into Sand Point, ID



Old barn

HA!  We are only 69 miles from Canada!  Is that not wild?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My goodness....new state, new sights, new sounds, new smells, new time zone. What an adventure!!! OK Adjective for today is "impressingly colorful" OK I think that's really called an adjective phrase, but who cares? hehe

OK...I had to looked up Osprey. Wish I could post a photo. They really are beautiful. Here's a short lesson....

The Osprey, Pandion haliaetus, is a large, 3 to 4.4 pound bird of prey which reaches 24 inches in length and has a 6 feet wingspan. The wings are brown, and the chest and underside are white. The head has a brown line running across the eye and are able to close their nostril.

They birds eat just about exclusively fish. They dive from 30 to 100 feet in the air.

The Ospreys are migratory birds and found worldwide. They breed in the north and head south for the winter. The Osprey make nests within 1.8 to 3.1 miles of the water. They can see fish at 32 to 132 ft. above the water, plunge for it, and dive 3.3 ft. under water.

The Osprey's nest is a large heap of sticks, driftwood, and seaweed built in trees, rock outcrops, telephone poles, and artificial platforms. This bird has fellow paartner for life. Females lay 2 to 4 eggs and incubation takes 5 weeks. Then 8 to 10 weeks later, the birds begin to fly.

I also looked up trees of Idaho. Boy, I had no idea. I learned why most mountainous regions have "softwoods" pine trees to you and me. And, they grow in nbrhds. Idaho has 20 different species, but only 8 account for 85% of the logging industry.

Saw Ann McMasters at the gym this morning. Caught her up to date.

Heading to Pan Asia's tonight for 2 for 1 martini's. I'll probably just have sushi and water though. Will miss you being there. Have a great day of riding!!!